Young Fives Program
The Young Fives program offers an alternative for children whose parents feel that they are not yet ready for a traditional kindergarten experience. The program is FREE for younger five-year-old children who live in the Grosse Pointe Public School System attendance area. Eligibility is determined by birth date -- children must turn five between March 1 and December 1, 2022. The natural progression from the Young Fives program would be to Kindergarten.
Young Fives will be offered at All GPPSS Elementary School Buildings depending upon enrollment, during the 2022-2023 school year. If enrollment numbers do not allow for a Young Five class at your home school, then the District reserves the right to add, combine, or cancel any Young Fives location based on interest and space availability. If your home school does not offer Young Fives, you will be provided an opportunity to attend at a nearby school.
What are the steps to enroll into the Young Fives program?
All interested must complete the following steps:
- Submit the YOUNG FIVES LOTTERY PREFERENCE FORM (form will be available January 14, 2022)
- This form is required in the event that enrollment numbers indicate the need to combine any Young Fives classrooms due to low enrollment.
- This form is also required in the event that interest exceeds 24 students from a neighborhood school. If that happens, all students from that school will be placed based on lottery results for their neighborhood school first. Once the classroom is filled then students will be placed based on lottery preference indicated on the Young Fives Lottery Form.
- Students who complete the Young Fives program in a building other than their home school due to the combining of programs would be expected to return to their home school the following year.
- Complete GPPSS ENROLLMENT. This includes verifying residency. This can be done entirely online, or you can make and appointment with our residency office here. If enrolling in person, bring ALL documentation to your appointment at the Enrollment Office 389 St. Clair, Grosse Pointe, MI 48230.
If both steps above are completed by April 8, 2022, you will be guaranteed a spot in the Young Fives program. If enrollment numbers indicate combining or canceling of the Young Fives Program within a particular building then a lottery will take place on April 12, 2022, and placement will be based on the Young Fives Lottery Preference Form. Parents will be notified of the lottery results and student placement via email and phone by April 13, 2022. Parents must respond by April 15, 2022, to confirm placement.
Each neighborhood elementary school will be hosting their own Info Night on January 13, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
Thank you for your interest in Young Fives. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
Director of PreK-Elementary Instruction