Trombly Principals: 1927-1952 Ethel Cowe1952-1975 Frank Welcenbach1975-1982 Dr. Eric Follo1982-1985 Mr. Robert Shover1985-1989 Ms. Sheila Turney1989-2003 Mrs. Jean Rusing2003-Present Mr. Walter FitzpatrickTrombly School is named for Robert Trombly who did much to help the city of Grosse Pointe Park in its early years. In his youth, he was a landscape gardener and planted many of the trees on Jefferson Avenue. He studied law and became a Grosse Pointe Township Justice of the Peace in 1884. He later served as President of Grosse Pointe Park Village from 1910-1912. He served on the school board for 30 years even before the five Grosse Pointe School districts consolidated in 1922. He made the necessary trips to Ypsilanti to select teachers for the schools as well as books and supplies.
In 1861, the School is listed as a frame school. It was named District One and located on the north side of Jefferson on PC126/127 (where Balfour is today.)
In 1868, the school is listed as a brick school. This is probably when they moved the school across the street.
In 1901, the third school was built on Beaconsfield (present Sunoco Station). It was still referred to as the District One School.
The original Robert Trombly School was built in 1903 at the Corner of Jefferson and Beaconsfield. A Sunoco gas station is located on the property now. In 1925, the first PTA was formed and Mrs. Ethel Cowe was made acting principal. In 1925, the School Board purchased the current sight of Trombly School, 5.24 acres, at a cost of $180,806.17. The first phase of the building to the auditorium was completed in 1927, and the second wing was built in 1930 and gives us the school as we know it today. The cost for the building and equipment was $423,301.16 and was considered an architectural masterpiece.
The first PTA meeting was held in February of 1927. A short business meeting was held, followed by a musical presentation by the high school orchestra. Everyone toured the new facility and ended the evening with dancing and refreshments in the gym. There were five teachers including the principal.
Trombly has the only auditorium in the Grosse Pointe Elementary Schools which is frequently used for student assemblies, concerts and fine arts presentations. Trombly's upstairs playroom became the current library in 1967, and is named the Frank C. Welcenbach Library Center honoring the school's second principal.
Trombly School has a rich history. The quality and dedication of the staff, as well as the active participation of parent volunteers make Trombly a very special school.