- Grosse Pointe Public School System
- GPPS Home
Updated MDHHS and WCHD COVID Guidance 011122
January 11, 2022
GPPSS is updating our policies according to new guidance for quarantine and isolation just released January 10 from both the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) and the Wayne County Department of Health (WCDH). This is consistent with our practice for the last 18 months.
The latest Wayne County update from Carol Austerberry contains a few important changes:
- If a COVID exposure occurs in the school setting, no contact tracing is required. This includes in-school contacts, including classrooms, buses, lunch and most extra-curricular activities.
- When there is a COVID exposure in school, letters will no longer be sent to the entire school community. At the elementary level, classrooms will still receive a notification letter via email - however this will not be sent to the entire school.
- GPPSS will be reporting daily COVID cases for both staff and students on our new dashboard report. This report will be updated daily by 5 p.m., by school building, and include new cases and total cases in isolation only - not close contacts or those quarantining. This will be linked on the COVID-19 page of our website later today.
- When a student or staff member tests positive for COVID-19, they may now return to school FIVE days after testing positive or the start of symptoms (returning on the sixth
day) if they are asymptomatic or symptoms are improving, and they continue proper masking. This is a change from previous guidance of 10 days.
- For those who are unvaccinated and identified as close contacts outside of school, they may now return to school FIVE days (a change from the previous guidance of 10 days) after their last exposure, as long as they are asymptomatic, monitor for symptoms for 10 days, and continue proper masking. (Vaccinated individuals identified as close contacts outside of school do not need to quarantine, but should continue to monitor for symptoms for 10 days.)
Thank you for your patience as we continue to update our protocols according to the latest guidance from both the MDHHS and WCDH. All district COVID information can be found on our website at this link and will be updated daily. It is critically important that we all continue to monitor daily for COVID symptoms per our Daily Screening Tool.
Administration is working to notify those in quarantine or isolation who are able to return per these new guidelines by the end of today. Thank you for your patience. Please reach out to your building administrator or contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.