Update on Water and Air Testing
During the reconfiguration discussion parents brought forward concerns about air quality at schools located near major expressways. The district contracted with the same company we use proactively for water testing. TEC is using the same sampling methodology as in the EPA Nationwide Monitoring Program at three locations inside and outside Poupard. Time integrated samples taken from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. will continue throughout the school year as needed. Results will be back shortly from the first sample taken August 1. A report will be shared with the board using the EPA study for comparison with our samples. Results will be shared publicly as we do with our proactive water sampling.
Again this year, GPPSS proactively conducted water samples for lead and copper. There were 58 locations in this round, with 116 samples taken (first draw and two-minute flush samples for each location). Of those, seven were over the action level required for lead and one for copper. The full TEC report is linked here, but here is a quick summary of the locations, and the steps the district took at each.
- Barnes first floor conference room 111 – installed filter
- Defer third floor drinking fountain near room 307 – replaced with new filtered drinking fountain
- Brownell first floor kitchen right sink used only for dishwashing – posted notice
- Mason second floor drinking fountain near 203 – replaced with new filtered drinking fountain
- North first floor drinking fountain near southwest end of auditorium – replaced with new filtered drinking fountain (lead and copper)
- Parcells second floor drinking fountain near 220 – replaced with new filtered drinking fountain