Philosophy of Teaching
I am a motivated and enthusiastic teacher, who loves teaching first grade at Mason Elementary. My mission is to teach your child how to believe in their abilities,
uniqueness, and feelings of self-worth. In order to best meet your child’s developmental
needs I will provide various avenues for them to acquire content and make sense of
ideas. Throughout each school day I will appropriately challenge your child intellectually
and socially so they will develop the skills necessary to reach their full potential.
This is my 23rd year teaching at Mason. I student taught in first grade here and was fortunate enough to be hired here to teach first grade. I just love it so much I’ve never
left! I have a specialty and Masters in Early Childhood Education from Michigan State/
Wayne State & Saginaw Valley State. I have been married 20 years and I have 2 sons;
Charlie (15 yrs.) who is an tenth grader this year at Grosse Pointe South and Joey (13yrs.) who is a seventh grader at Pierce. Teaching is in my blood because I come from along line of teachers! My parents and grandparents were allteachers.Contacting MeIF IT IS AN EMERGENCY, AND YOU NEED TO GET A MESSAGE TO ME RIGHT AWAY PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE AT 432-4400. We are not able to receive direct calls.CALL MY VOICE MAIL AND I WILL RETURN YOUR CALL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. #432-5475E-MAIL: Kari. Krausmk@gpschools.org please allow 24 – 48 hours for me to respond (I’m usually the same day, however, I may not be at school that day or sometimes your notes go to our “Spam” account). If you don’t hear back from me within 48hrs. try again or another method such as a note because it probably didn’t reach me!
Please note that my door is open to questions and concerns you may have. I believe it is important to keep a strong line of communication between home and school. Please keep in mind that I also have a family and I may not be able to have “impromptu conversations” about your child before or after school without notice. If you would like to set up meetings or conferences to discuss concerns etc. about your child throughout the year, please let me know a few days before you wish to talk so that I can make special arrangements. Tuesdays are meeting days at school, so please try to avoid this day for conferences. After school meetings are more manageable for me. I am very good about calling if I have concerns or I just want to let you know your child is doing great!
LATE START MONDAY’S & KID’S CLUB INFO:
On Monday’s students will start school later on (9:05 a.m.) and are dismissed at the usual time 3:38 p.m. Please take note of these time changes and have a backup system in place if the new times affect your work schedule. You may want to sign your child up for Kid’s Club. This is a before and after school babysitting program where kids can play, do homework, etc. if you are going to need to drop your child off sooner in the a.m. or need to pick them up later in the p.m. Forms can be found on Grosse Pointes website. Registration fee is $75.00 with a $250.00 deposit that will be returned if bills are paid, before school flat rate is $5.00 after school flat rate is $10.00.
Please use this as one of the best ways to communicate with me along with e-mail. Write in the space provided to let me know of any special plans such as being picked up early from school, going home with someone different, play dates, if you are meeting your child in a different location, and most importantly their LUNCH CHOICE.
(Please try not to lose or remove the clip that is used as a bookmark for the planner.)
LUNCH ROUTINE & DAILY SNACK
- PLEASE PUT YOUR CHILD’S NAME & MY NAME ON THEIR LUNCH BOX. If your child’s lunch box falls out of our lime green bin, or accidentally gets placed in another classes bin, it is helpful to have my name on your child’s lunch box so it finds its way back to our room!!
- Hot lunch can be purchased in the gym at lunch time. Please send in any money in an envelope or Ziploc baggie marked with your child’s name on it. You may also set up a lunch account through the office.
- We head down to the gym at 11:30 a.m. for lunch. You may pick your child up at that time if they are going home for lunch; just return them by 12:30 p.m... The children eat from 11:35 to 11:55/noon, and then they go outside to play (weather permitting).
- Snack time is around 10 a.m and 2 p.m. If you can keep their snack in a separate bag with their name on it, that would be very helpful!! I have a basket just for snacks, and plastic bins just for lunch boxes. It helps keep everyone organized!
SPECIAL CLASSROOM NUMBER
YOUR CHILD WILL HAVE THE SAME SPECIAL NUMBER ON EVERYTHING!! The number on their nametag, HOMEWORK folder and
planner is their official number!
I encourage children to use the DeBug System: A system designed and used at Mason School for all students to try and handle a situation on their own
before going to the teacher. Please help encourage your child to try and do the
following when they encounter a “non-dangerous or non-physical” situation.
2. MOVE AWAY - if that does not work
3. TALK FRIENDLY- if that does not work
4. TALK FIRMLY- if that does not work
5. GET ADULT HELP!COMPLIMENT JAR
We love compliments and work hard as a group for them! When the students in our class are recognized as a whole for doing great work, such as walking quietly through the hallway or working hard in a “Specials” class, they receive a bear that goes into our classroomCompliment Jar. Compliments can come from any adult that see’s (parents, teachers, etc,) or works with the students in our room and feelsthat they are doing an outstanding job of teamwork! When our class earns 20 bears we have a small “Compliment Party” such as a popcorntreat or extra recess!
STUDENT OF THE WEEK (S.O.W. DONE IN # ORDER)
I will send a specific note home the week before your child is S.O.W.
- CAN BRING IN A TREAT IF YOU WANT (NOT REQUIRED)
- YOUR CHILD’S TURN FOR “SHOW & TELL” ITEMS (one item per day)
- PICTURES TO ADD TO OUR CLASSROOM ALL ABOUT ME POSTER.
- EXAMPLE ITEMS; Trophies, special toys, blankets stuffed animals, rock collections, things your child is proud of!! Please only one item per day!
The children will go to the computer lab at least once a week. We also have computers in our classroom. This year your child will be learning many new reading and math programs. They will also learn basic computer skills.
SPELLING, WORDS THEIR WAY & WALL WORDS
(WORD FAMILIES)/chunking/ Theme based words & “High Frequency” words will be worked on daily in class. Friday’s will be a day that I asses the words that have been worked on throughout the week, as well as repeat past sight words.
MR. KELLER is a community volunteer that worked in Mrs. Cole’s Kindergarten last year. He also helps within my classroom on Monday and Friday mornings.
Let me know how you would like to help! I have many needs that can be done at school, or after hours at home. Thanks! Note in
planner or e-mail!
PLEASE TRY TO IF POSSIBLE:
- SEND IN WATER BOTTLES WITH SPORT TOPS-FEWER SPILLS!!
- NO RED JUICE DRINKS-STAIN.
- NO PETS - ALLERGIES IN AND OUTSIDE OF OUR CLASSROOM
- SNEAKERS FOR GYM THAT STAY IN THEIR LOCKER SO THERE ARE NO TEARS!!
- Send in extra clothing especially socks and underwear!
WELCOMED CLASSROOM ITEMS
· Clorox wipes
· Snack items such as goldfish, pretzels, or other dry food snack
for those days’ children forget!
· Plastic spoons
· Baby wipes